Wild Seed Project is pleased to announce our inaugural Open Call for Artists. The selected artist will be awarded a $5,000 stipend and will work closely with WSP staff to create new artwork for the 2024 Wild Seed Project Guide: Planting for Climate Resilience. Deliverables include: full color front and back cover illustrations; spot illustrations; and a series of plant community or plant guild illustrations (to be determined as the publication develops).
We’re looking for artists and illustrators who can create beautiful, creative, and accurate illustrations of northeast native plants and fauna. The selected artist will work closely with WSP’s ecology team to ensure scientific accuracy, and reference images will be provided.
While not required, applicants are encouraged to include a few work samples in the portfolio that demonstrate the artist’s capacity for accurate rendering.
View a gallery of past guide illustrations here.
We will prioritize:
– Queer, trans, and non-binary artists
– Black and Indigenous artists and other artists of color
– Artists with a connection to the northeast, particularly the plants and creatures we live among
– Emerging artists
– Portfolio of ten images representative of the style and approach the artist would bring to this project
– Statement of interest explaining why this opportunity is important to you, and your connection to the northeast
– Brief bio
How to apply:
Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Last Name – 2024 Open Call Application. Submissions must include: (10) images saved as .jpeg files (low resolution is fine) with file names: Last Name – Title; a brief bio (PDF: Last Name – Bio); a current CV (PDF: Last Name – CV); and statement of interest (please include in the body of your email) by 11:59pm on August 11.
For questions about this opportunity, please contact Jess Gildea, Director of Community Engagement: email@example.com.